Feb 19, 2008
Talking Point (#7) Paying for Parks
BCC spends money to look after parks and it also spends money to buy parks, but let's face it there is only so much money to go around. So how might cities creatively address funding issues?
UK based CABE undertook a study looking at funding models for the purchase and maintenance of parks (actually some of which are already used by BCC). These included
1. Traditional local authority funding
2. Multi-agency public sector funding
3. Taxation initiatives
4. Planning and development opportunities
5. Bonds and commercial finance
6. Income-generating opportunities
8. Voluntary and community sector involvement.